If you are a diabetic, you need to start snacking. If you are a diabetic and feel hungry between your regular meals, you should add something between these, possibly some quick snacking meal plan. You should however make sure to pick low calorie diets that have less carbohydrate content. Snacks for diabetics are ideal especially if they start experiencing stomach grumbling and lowered blood glucose level. Potato chips, popcorns and a variety of other quick snacks low in calorie and carbohydrate can serve the purpose.
Snacks for diabetics: Some useful diabetes snack ideas
- Tea and beverages: Have a cup of hot tea or some sugar free beverage if its cold. They will warm you up a bit and make you fuller till your next meal.
- Have carbohydrate containing snacks at hand for times when you start seeing symptoms of hypogylcemia. Such snacks should be free of protein and fat and should be able to quickly absorb glucose. A small pouch of sugar containing 5 teaspoons of sugar, regular soda juice, peanut butter crackers, a bag of peanuts, beans, cheese, any kind of nut, a protein bar or shake, or a peanut butter sandwich should serve ideally as snacks for diabetics when they start seeing signs of hypoglyecmia.
- Stay away from low fat snacks. Such snacks just make people eat more because they think that low fat means low on calories. If you are a diabetic driven by such misconceptions you had better stay away from low fat snacks.
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts etc. are good sources of monounsaturated fats. As they are low in cholesterol and rich in protein, they don’t raise the blood sugar level. Nuts are among the best snacks for diabetics.
- Apples are easy to carry and consume. Have apple without peeling off the skin as the latter is rich in fibre that helps reduce cholesterol. Besides, they are also rich in antioxidants that contribute directly to control the blood sugar level and reduce the chances of getting diabetes.
- Have snacks containing one carbohydrate in the right amount. 1 cup of baby carrots, 5-6 whole wheat crackers, 3 cups of low fat popcorn etc. are some examples that could fit into your diabetic snack meal plan.
- Diabeteic snacks containing two carbohydrate choice in right proportions such as 1 low fat gronala bar, quarter of a cup of dried fruit, 1 cup of whole wheat cereal are also ideal for a diabetic snack meal plan.
- Vegetable soup: Ah… how can you forget them! soups of spinach, onion, green beans and other low carb vegetables would be perfect for juicing up.
- 100 calorie pack cookies, quacker snack mix, albacore tuna in water etc. are some fast food snacks that were voted by consumers as top choices as snacks for diabetes.