Are you wondering how to boost your mood without caffeine? If the mid-afternoon has you headed to the coffeepot time and time again, you might want to consider a different and healthier approach to increasing your energy. Try the following lifestyle changes and see if they keep you going, without the help (and the crash!) of caffeine.
1. Go for a Walk- Sitting long hours at your desk is bad for your body. It can also be the reason you tire easily throughout your day. How about using your lunch break for a quick walk around the building? increase your daily steps and you’ll improve your circulation and your mood.
2. Stay Hydrated- If you’re feeling sluggish and tired, drink some water. Keep a few bottles of fresh water next to your desk and reach for one whenever you feel tired, and even hungry. Often times hunger signal is really just dehydration. Quench your thirst and a mood boost is sure to follow.
3. Cut the Carbs- While carbs are a crucial energy source, over-indulgence in vending machine treats can cause a drop in you body’s serotonin levels. (And serotonin is what makes you feel good!) Instead of satisfying a sweet tooth, opt for a healthier mid-day bite and go for fatty omega-3 choices. Avocado, fish and nuts are all suitable alternatives that will help boost your mood and help carry you through the rest of your workday. If you must opt for a carbohydrate, try a half of cup of dry cereal or trail mix and limit your sugar or caffeine intake.
4. Kissing- Expressing your love and affection has more than just a physical benefit. Kissing increases dopamine levels which can improve your mood and kick your happiness meter into high gear. Pucker up with your loved one and never discount the healthy benefits of a hug or a smooch.
5. Pet an Animal- Pets are known to decrease stress. Sharing a moment with an animal has many therapeutic benefits. If you don’t own a pet, consider visiting your local animal shelter and greet the pets. Better yet, bring some old blankets or a bag of food for donation. Contributing to the livelihood of an animal can instantly improve your mood, and theirs!
6. Donate Your Time- If your drinking cup after cup of caffeine and still find yourself feeling sluggish, perhaps it’s time to get out of the house and partake in a worthwhile cause. Donate your time and volunteer for worthy functions. Soup kitchens, fundraisers and many other organizations are always in need of a few extra helping hands. If you have the time, use it wisely and you’ll reap the mental reward.
While caffeine is (always) an option for boosting your mood, there are many other activities that can be much more satisfying. Spend time with your kids. Take a vacation. And above all, appreciate the beautiful world we live in. Gratitude creates the best attitude.